Thursday, January 23, 2020

Wishing for Spring


Yes, it's still winter here, but you can tell from the picture that my mind is on spring!  We had cold rains yesterday and it was a miserable day for anyone and anything that had to be out in it.  Those cold rains, though, are building soil moisture that will give the grass a nice boost when the weather finally warms.

I wasn't able to write a post yesterday due to an early meeting.  I prefer early meetings; it seems the mind is sharper early in the day.  That may just be an indicator that I'm a "morning person."  I'm not sure I buy into the whole "morning person/night person" concept, I think we can train ourselves to be either; it's just a matter of conditioning.

I think a short nap after lunch is ideal.  I learned that way back in about the 8th grade when I worked for a farmer that required a brief nap after lunch which I ate with the family.  We would adjourn to the living room where he would lay back in his recliner and I would stretch out on the floor for about a 30 minute nap before heading back out to the fields to work until dark.  It made a lot of sense on those long summer days when we started shortly after daylight and didn't finish up until almost dark.

I've known a number of successful people who take a nap after lunch almost every day.  One was a business partner who owned a number of profitable businesses.  If you needed to talk to him after lunch, you had to wait until after his nap was over because the "gatekeeper" wouldn't let him be disturbed during that time.  I think his approach must be a good one because there are few people I know any more productive.

I used to think I needed to work through lunch when I had too much to do to get done in a day.  I learned that I got more done taking a break.  I would sometimes take my lunch to the park and after eating would take a brief nap.  It always made the afternoon better.  I was more alert and more productive.  Our body needs that brief restorative period to remain sharp.

I guess it's the sight of those cows in the picture that has caused me to think about naps.  In my mind I can smell the green grass, hear the flies buzzing in the lazy summer heat and the sense of drowsiness that comes with it....

No comments:

Google