Wednesday, January 15, 2020

A Worthy Mascot?


I've sometimes asked the question
Of myself, if no one else,
About the nature of the coyote.
Is he really a great predator
Or, just a scavenger?
Whichever doesn't mean that much to me
Except that I have noted
He is quite the survivor
And seems to thrive;
No matter where you look
He's always there.

I grew up watching cartoons
Of him and the roadrunner
And the ineptitude with which he was endowed
Is certainly misleading
Because it is probably
The opposite of his character.
He finds a way,
In spite of urban encroachment
And hunting pressure,
To prolifically occupy
A special niche in the environment.

Perhaps he could best be described
As an opportunist
With a knack for finding ways
To overcome adversity.
I think I will adopt him as my mascot
Because that is the type of character
One must have in this
Old crazy world
Which seems to think up is down
And left is right
And the roadrunner always wins.

No comments:

Google