Friday, January 3, 2020

Resolutions, Intentions and Wishes


In this new year in which my sole resolution was to write more, I'm struggling to write.  I suspect the old boy in the image above might have some pungent commentary regarding my resolution.

What is the reason that causes us to fail in implementing our resolutions?  I suspect it is simply the root of the word itself -- resolve.  We fail for lack of resolve.  That leaves two solutions: 1) don't make resolutions for which you haven't already developed the resolve to complete or, 2) develop some resolve!

I think all of us have good intentions.  That is what most lists of New Year's resolutions is in reality, a list of good intentions.  I'm sure there is a legal definition of intent because it is a word used in certain criminal charges such as "intent to kill."  I'm thinking of the word more in the way of a wish perhaps?  We all wish to be better and to do the things we know we should do, but we fail to back that wish with "intent" or, better yet, "purpose."  We merely think that by wishing a thing it will be so.

I suspect many of you who made resolutions for the new year are experiencing similar struggles with executing on those "wishes."  I believe the best approach is to adopt a resolution of working on one thing at a time, throughout the year, throughout your life.  We all know of areas in which we need to improve.  For some, it might be a simple bad habit such as failing to take out the trash on a regular basis.  For others, it might be some destructive behavior such as smoking, or eating too much.  The key is to select a single area for improvement and to focus on changing your attitude and your behavior in incremental steps.  Set goals regarding that behavior.

For me and my goal of writing, it is to set aside a period of time each day in which I write.  I already have that time and you are reading the result.  This is because of a resolution that I set about 1 1/2 years ago.  The next step in that journey of "writing more" is to set aside an additional period of time each day in which to write -- not merely just to assemble words on a blank page, but to focus on something a little more in-depth than the daily post to this blog or, journal if you prefer to call it such.

It might not actually seem to be contributory, but I have read more the last couple of days.  Reading what others have written can help develop one's own writing skills.  The words of others provide examples of structure, style and content which may or, may not be applied to one's own work.  One of the things I am reading currently is a diary kept by Captain Harry C. Butcher, USNR, called "My Three Years With Eisenhower."  It covers the years 1942 through 1945.  If you know anything of history, you will immediately associate that period of time with Eisenhower's role in World War II as the Commander of Allied Forces in Europe.  If you are a student of WWII, I highly recommend the book.  It is highly readable.  My daughter loaned it to me some time back and I am just now getting around to reading it.

Anyway, back to resolutions, intentions and wishes; it is still early in the year.  Don't set them aside just yet, but realize that changing habits is difficult.  The best approach is the incremental one.  Also, expect to fail, but understand that failure, in the case of changing habits at least, doesn't need to be permanent.  It's like falling down; don't just lay there on the sidewalk complaining, get up, brush off, staunch the bleeding and get back to it.  We all carry scars.

Now, to schedule additional writing time today....

No comments:

Google