Saturday, December 8, 2018

A Little Science Fiction

I love to read science fiction/fantasy.  Through the years I have tried my hand at writing some.  Below is an excerpt from a fanciful piece I started once upon a time....yes, in a galaxy far, far away.


Beidercats don’t bite.  In reality, they aren’t cats at all.  Why they call them cats is a mystery to me but, that is definitely a Beidercat looking me in the eye.  Do you suppose they actually spit venom from their eyes like some people say?  I hope not.  If they do, this isn’t going to end pretty.

This planet was certainly full of surprises.  First, it was the landing.  Those gravity shifts are tricky.  Skipping a landing craft like a smooth pebble on a pond was definitely a new experience for me.  Both of my shoulders ache from jolting against the harness.  Once is expected but, seven times?  I think that must be a record.

The jammed door was no surprise, but, the static should have been discharged through the grounding mechanism.  Fortunately, rubber steps kept me from being fried.  I could have used those boots though.  If I could just find something to replace the melted soles I might make use of them yet.  Oh, well.  At least it was the serpent and not me that fried.  I was lucky the steps landed on him when I opened the door otherwise, I would have taken the full charge.  I think I’ll file a complaint with the Galactic Rocket Company.  Redundancy should be required – even on economy models!

I headed directly for the nearest settlement.  At least that’s what I thought.  The powers that be at Colonial Birthright, Inc. swore there was one about three degrees north of my landing site.  They’re the ones that hired me.  They should know.  I should have reached it about thirty minutes ago.  My Triangulator picked up their ping almost immediately upon landing.  My course has held true and my suit display immediately laid in the proper course.  The problem is, as I walk forward, it recedes.  There is no way a colony can move.  After all, it is supposed to contain at least forty colonists.  It has to be a glitch in my nav system that isn't responding properly to the shifting grav field.

But, enough of the past.  I need to focus on the now.  What do I do with a Biedercat staring at me?  Shooting them is out of the question.  They phase shift.  I could fire a dozen times with my Enerjet 40 and it would just be wasting juice.  They only partially exist in this reality.  That’s why they don’t bite.  They feed on energy.  That is what the so-called venom is supposed to be – a jet of pure energy.  So, I froze.  I just didn’t move.  I tried my best not to shiver with the fear coursing through me.  I know that animals sense fear.  I wondered if that applied to an animal that was partially phase-shifted into another dimension….

Slowly, he lowered his head.  It had to be the position he would take in order to shoot the venom.  I was on the verge of panic.  Suddenly I felt heat.  It was becoming unbearably hot in a very short time.  A vibration seemed to surround me.  Then, a rush of….something….I don’t know what….passed me and the Biedercat was blurred by what looked like heat waves shimmering in the desert.  It was another predator.  It had to be a Velocishifter; the only known enemy of the Biedercat.  It could shift dimensions too.  Suddenly, a brilliant flash of light and I was alone again.  A smell like burned metal filled the air and I sighed with relief.  When in hunting mode, the Velocishifter sees only the rifts in the fabric of this reality.  I was fortunate that it was hunting.  Otherwise, it may have noticed me....

No comments:

Google