Monday, December 24, 2018

Family Time at Christmas

For the last couple of days we have celebrated Christmas with family.  Our kids were home, though briefly, and not at the same time.  It has been a good couple of days with the sounds of laughter and happy activity, lots of good food and time together.

One of the things that sticks in my mind is the look of sheer joy on the younger kids faces when they crossed the creek in the Polaris Ranger -- their father driving and mother keeping them corralled.  I was the "gate man" and therefore able to watch their faces as they made the quick crossing, yelling and laughing.  There was no water in the bottom, but it was muddy and the sides are steep.  I wish I had thought to pull out the camera on my phone to capture the moment.

Saturday, we had a special meal prepared by my son.  It was his gift to us and a very special one.  He and his girlfriend visited on Saturday.  There were games of cards and dominoes and checking cows and visiting.  It was a long hard trip for a very short time for them, but we appreciated it greatly.

Sunday was filled with my daughter and her family.  Little children always add to the joy of Christmas.  Their excitement and laughter are contagious.  I know their parents sometimes worry about the noise and activity, but children playing is good for this old guy's soul.

We have also had my in-laws and a visit yesterday from my wife's sister.  We will be at her house on Christmas Day.

Once again we are reminded that Christmas is a time for family.  On this Christmas Eve, I hope you are blessed with the presence of those you love.  I regret that we won't be able to see my mother and siblings this Christmas, but I hope they know we would like to be there.

"While they were there the time came for the baby to be born, and she gave birth to their first-born, a son.  She wrapped him in a manger, because there was no room for them in the inn." -- Luke 2:6-7

No comments:

Google