Sunday, December 9, 2018

A Cold Rain and Muddy Cattle

Yesterday there were lots of photos across social media of snow -- especially from those of my acquaintance in the area where I grew up.  Most of them were of scenes around their homes with snow piled on cars or in the yard, but some were from the farmers and ranchers who were out working in it, feeding cattle, or other livestock.

I remember feeding cattle in the snow a few times.  I also remember getting stuck in drifts and the wind blowing the snow to the point you couldn't see.  I remember having to walk to a phone to get someone with a tractor to help me get unstuck.  I remember breaking ice so thick you needed an axe or, a sledgehammer to get through it.  It isn't much fun for the folks having to take care of the animals in such weather.

Grandpa always told me that he'd rather deal with a snow storm than a cold rain.  His reason was that the cattle would form a crust of snow on their hair that acted like additional insulation for them.  They might look like they were freezing, but it probably wasn't nearly as bad as it looked -- especially if they could find some shelter out of the wind.

While the snow fell in the western part of the state, we got cold rain.  The temperatures hovered in the upper 30's to low 40's and a steady light rain fell for almost 3 full days.  On top of the already saturated ground, the additional moisture turned the land to the consistency of cake batter.  It isn't much fun feeding hay in those conditions.

It's hard on the cattle.  The rain soaks into their hair and they are wet to the skin.  Fortunately, there has been almost no wind to accompany the rain, but it is obvious that the cattle are feeling it.  They gather around the hay bales with less than their normal enthusiasm and stand all humped up.  I'm just thankful calving season hasn't started yet.  We are still about a month away from the beginning of that.

The hay lot is a muddy mess as is the trap where we feed.  Water is standing in many places.  Fortunately, the mud isn't too deep.  The topsoil is thin and a layer of clay lies under it.  That adds to the soupiness of the topsoil because the water is unable to percolate quickly into the ground, but instead sits on top of that clay layer for days.

Sigh, I guess we will be dealing with the mud for awhile.  I know, I shouldn't complain.  It seems like only a short time ago I was complaining about drought....

No comments:

Google