Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Something From 2008 Because I'm Short on Ideas Today....

Some days it is hard to come up with something new to write.  Today seems to be one of those days.  In lieu of a new creation, I am pulling out a devotional that I wrote back in June of 2008.  It includes the mention of 3 blogs.  Two of those have been eliminated and this is the only one that I maintain now.  The devotional is below:


Matt. 28:18-20 says:



Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.  Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.  And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.



The Internet has brought the world to our door.  It shouldn’t, nor does it, take the place of going out to the nations with the message of Jesus.  It does offer those of us who are bound to one geographic area the means to communicate with people in other places.



One of the big things on the Internet today is Blogs.  A blog (short for web-log) is a place to record one’s thoughts and ideas.  It can be a private blog (diary) or a public blog (commentary).  It can be about anything you like.  Many are political.  Others are about modern culture such as art, music, movies, etc.  Some are Christian in nature.  I have 3 blogs.  One is a creative outlet.  One is work-related because it is about agriculture.  One is political.



I have found that on all of the blogs there come occasions when I am able to share my beliefs with others.  There are several other bloggers and commenters with whom I have developed e-mail acquaintances.  There are others that merely exchange comments with me on my blogs.  Some ask very difficult questions about Christianity.  Others attack Christianity.  They are scattered throughout the world.  The following paragraph is from a recent e-mail exchange with a Political Science professor in California.  I had mentioned to him that I preferred the term Christ-follower as opposed to Christian due to the watered down nature of Christianity in most people’s eyes.  He said,



“You're probably more in tune with actual Christian doctrine and practice among the laity than I am. I simply place myself in the Christian Western religious model, which comes from my studies in political philosophy. If you can explain in a couple paragraphs the reasoning behind the shift to "Christ-followership" I'd appreciate it.”



This gave me the opportunity to share with him what I believe.  In a subsequent e-mail he has asked for more information.



My point is this.  God provides many ways to share His word with the people of this planet.  It’s not always what we would expect.  It is our obligation as followers of Jesus to meet those opportunities however presented.  When was the last time you shared your faith?


No comments:

Google