Monday, December 31, 2018

Are You Making the World a Better Place?

In scanning through the writing prompts included in the book I received for Christmas, I found one that stood out.  It is this:  "Are you making the world a better place?"  It is a question I have asked myself through the years.  Another form of it is:  "Are you making a positive difference with your life?"

I think as most of us age, we question this about the life we have lived.  The young are often out to conquer the world, those in middle age are "surviving" and the old begin to wonder what it was all about.  This last day of the year seems a good one to reflect on such things.  After all, the old saying that "today is the first day of the rest of your life" is accurate.  Change begins with a decision.

I would like to think that I have had a positive influence here and there.  I certainly haven't "conquered the world" as I once thought I might.  I do hope that some word or, deed along the way helped someone to have a better day.  After all, in the end it is the accumulation of tiny things that truly makes a difference.  Rarely is it the big things.

This, the last day of the year is a good time to reflect and to give thought to the coming year.  I ask myself, "How can I make the coming year one of positive impact?  What can I do to help others in this journey?"

I like to think that my writing is a positive influence.  It is a way that I can reach beyond my limited daily contact.  It can be a force for good (I'm being optimistic here in thinking at least a handful of people actually read what I write.) 

As a first step toward the new year, I pledge to continue writing, to the extent possible, on a daily basis.  I will attempt to make my messages positive and affirming -- uplifting to others.  That will not always be the case, because there are times, I know from experience, when I will be led to write something that is perhaps a recitation of events that may serve the purpose of letting someone know they are not alone in what has happened to them.  We sometimes need to simply know that others suffer, others deal with problems.

Reflection is important, but movement forward a necessity.  So, I ask you, how will you make the world a better place?

No comments:

Google