Saturday, March 23, 2019

Relaxing by a Campfire

This time of year I really enjoy being outside.  We decided last night it was time for a campfire, so we went out to our place north of town and built one and just enjoyed the evening.  The grass is green, the trees are budding and the weather was perfect.

Sometimes we all need the peace of a campfire.  There is something soothing -- mesmerizing -- about watching the flames dance among the pieces of wood.  It is easy to forget the "cares of the world" and to just "be" when you have a campfire to gaze into.

Last weekend we tried a quick "getaway" to Central Texas to view the wildflowers.  We were a little early for good viewing, but saw a few.  The trip was shortened and we had to come back earlier than planned.

It was a reminder that unexpected things can quickly change our direction in life.  We had stopped in Gatesville to stretch our legs and decided to take a few photos of the courthouse there which is very picturesque.  As we were aiming our iPhone cameras a pickup truck driven by someone in a hat passed in front of us.  It then circled around and came back to park right beside where we were standing.  The gentleman in the hat got out and walked around the pickup and it was then I recognized a good friend who also was just passing through town and noticed me on the sidewalk.

You'd better be careful what you do, because you never know who you might run into!

I guess the campfire was our way of getting away to make up for the shortened weekend the week before.  We weren't interrupted except for a handful of feral pigs that made a brief appearance.  It led to what I thought was a brief interlude of maybe 10 minutes while I stalked them, but was later informed it was more like 30 minutes.  The longer time is probably correct since my Fitbit informed me I had reached my steps for the day about midway through the hike.

Even the 30 minute hike was relaxing.



No comments:

Google