Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Words and More Words

I truly intended to get a post out yesterday, but sometimes the things we need to do out-demand the things we desire to do.  I won't write twice as much today in order to make up for the missing!

I did learn yesterday that there actually are a handful of people who read the things that I write.  Some of them are obvious, like family and a few good friends, but I am occasionally surprised at encountering those who have read my words and remembered them and make mention to me.  It is gratifying, yet intimidating, because it emphasizes the responsibility we have for our words.  What we say and what we write can have impact on others in ways we may not always be able to predict.

I do try to avoid being especially inflammatory here, although sometimes I will get political.  Politics can be polarizing -- just observe the current situation in Washington.  Even with political subjects, though, I try to keep my thoughts "gauged" and designed more to provoke conversation and thought, rather than vitriol.  Sometimes it even works!

I don't claim to be a teacher, yet each and every one of us is a teacher by the example we set for others and the words of our mouth and mind/hand.  Sometimes what we teach is imbued with wisdom and at other times, folly.  I pray that my words will convey wisdom -- often without my knowledge or, awareness, or even intent that they do so.  God works through the words of man just as He works through our actions.  I pray that my words be empowered with the Spirit of Truth.  Always.  I know I will fail at times, but He never does.

"Not only was the Teacher wise, but also he imparted knowledge to the people.  He pondered and searched out and set in order many proverbs.  The Teacher searched to find just the right words, and what he wrote was upright and true.  The words of the wise are like goads, their collected sayings like firmly embedded nails -- given by one Shepherd.  Be warned, my son, of anything in addition to them.  Of making many books there is no end, and much study wearies the body.  Now all has been heard; here is the conclusion of the matter:  Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man.  For God will bring every deed into judgment, including every hidden thing, whether it is good or evil."  -- Ecclesiastes 12:9-14

No comments:

Google