Sunday, March 31, 2019

Pushing On Through

There are times when I sit down at my computer to write a post and something inside says that I just don't want to do it today.  I don't feel inspired, or I am just tired.  It forces a choice upon me.  That choice is to "push on through" and write anyway, or to skip a day -- which usually leads to skipping 2 or 3 or even taking an extended break.  Such has happened to me a number of times since I started writing this blog in 2007, as can be seen if you look at the "Past Posts" section on the right-hand side near the bottom (you may have to scroll down to find it).

The thing that is "best" for me is to suck it up and write something anyway.  I recognize that we all need a break sometimes from what we do.  We call such a vacation.  I agree that time away is important, but it should be planned and executed as part of a plan, not just be a response to, "I feel lazy today so, I'm not going to do what I should."

It goes back to purpose.  I sometimes have to remind myself why I took on this endeavor of writing.  I choose to write daily in order to instill the discipline necessary to hone my "craft" in a way that hopefully, over time, will help me to improve as a writer.  Someday I may choose to "retire" from my day job and turn to writing as a post-career career.  If that is something I truly plan to do, then  I must prepare for it, much like we all, hopefully, set aside savings of some form or fashion for the eventuality of retirement.  My brief, daily exercise in writing keeps me in shape.

At some point I will choose to take a brief break from posting.  My intention is that it be planned -- disciplined -- just as the writing must be disciplined to be of value.  A runner trains, a musician practises and successful people of every kind devote time to bettering themselves in whatever they do.  Writing is no different.  Sometimes I have to remind myself of that.

I pray that each of you who reads this has something for which they are willing to put in the time on a daily basis to improve their craft -- whether it be mechanic, artist or businessperson.  Face the struggle with discipline and perseverance.  Above all, I pray the same for your faith.  The best words that describe the necessity to "push on through" when it seems hard are found in the book of Romans:

"Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand.  And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God.  Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope.  And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us."  -- Romans 5:1-5

Now, read those verses again more slowly, as though you are listening to Paul actually say them.  Too often, Christians who have been in the faith for a long time, due to their familiarity with the words, don't truly listen to God speaking through those words, but instead rattle them off in their head from memory.  Let these words soak into your very being and become a part of you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Google