Saturday, March 30, 2019

Sometimes Silence Is Necessary

Are you ever asked a question which sends your mind spinning down multiple pathways so that it takes you a few seconds before you can respond?  Sometimes that happens to me.  I start drawing boxes around the question and opening doors and taking a look to see what's behind it and it sometimes takes a little time before I have mentally evaluated the multiple permutations to determine which direction I want to go with my response.  Sometimes it sends a weird message to the "asker" and of course, they can't stand the silence so they ask another question.

One of the most important things to learn in sales is that sometimes silence is necessary.  If you are doing your job properly, you should be asking questions and learning about your prospect.  Don't waste everyone's time detailing your product or service until you know best how it will "fit" for your prospect -- ask questions.  But, here's the crucial piece -- wait for their answer and listen deeply to their response.  If you are thinking about what you are going to say next, or are thrown off by a hesitation that causes silence, you will miss something critical.  Never interrupt your prospect -- and that includes their silence.  Wait for their response.

We don't normally think of sales people as being patient.  Some of the very best are extremely patient.  Not only are they patient, but they actually listen to what you are saying rather than scurrying down the path of their much practiced presentation.

Most of y'all who might read this aren't really interested in sales, but the same concept applies to conversation of any kind.  We all need to be more patient.  We should be comfortable with the occasional silence -- silence can move a conversation from "noise" to something meaningful.  We also need to learn to listen.  I do a better job of listening in sales than I do in normal conversation -- part of that is because in sales I am focused on taking my understanding to a deeper level -- in casual conversation I grow tired of inanities.  I am not good at just "noise" to fill the silence.  To me, silence is a sign of deeper connection.  It means a relationship is more than just acquaintance.

So, did you watch the big game last night?

No comments:

Google