Friday, July 27, 2018

Never Ending Labor

It seems there is no end to the tasks that need doing at the ranch.  Today it is clearing brush from a fence line and preparing a level area to set a replacement stock water tank.  At 7:00 a.m. it is already 80 degrees with humidity of 64% and the sun hasn't shown itself for the high clouds which hold little promise of much needed rain.

We do most of the physical labor on our place; it is not a large ranch requiring numerous employees,  it is small and I have a hard time paying someone else to do what I can do.  Some might argue that if I am able, I should hire someone else to give them a job.  I've never seen it that way.

If I have time and am both physically able and have the knowledge to do a job, I will do it.  If I don't have the requisite knowledge or, tools for some jobs, I might hire someone else to do it -- such as cutting and baling hay.  If I don't have the time due to more remunerative employment of my personal labor, I will hire things done.

I was never one to think that just because I am able to pay someone else to do the job that I should sit back and watch them toil away while I play the role of "boss."  It isn't my style.  I guess, because of that, I can more easily relate to folks who "work" for a living than I can those who merely "boss others" for a living.  I don't like to ask someone to do a job that I am unwilling to do.

Oh, well, so much for the digression into my theories of doing physical labor...there is work to be done and we're burning daylight.

No comments:

Google