Sunday, July 29, 2018

Book Shopping

Normal Saturdays are filled with various chores such as mowing the lawn and other things around the house.  Frequently, at least part of the day is spent working at the ranch doing one of the myriad never-ending chores there.  Yesterday, we instead spent a day of relaxation.

We woke to a brief light rain that didn't do much to ease the drought, but at least brought temporary respite to the high temperature which soared later in the day.  It did, however, cause us to spend a little time just relaxing and doing some reading.

Because of the drought, we did have to feed some hay to the cows and check their water.  During heat and drought, water is the number one most essential thing for the cattle.  Afterward, instead of spending time working on the never-ending encroachment of brush, or some other task, we headed back to town.

After a brief nap following lunch, we drove to a larger town to do some shopping and so that I could get a desperately needed haircut.  We had a gift card for Olive Garden and planned on eating dinner there, which we did, but having some time to kill we decided to head to 1/2 Priced Bookstore for a little shopping.

I must admit that books are one of my weaknesses.  Fortunately, my wife shares a similar enjoyment of reading and there is no end to the books in our home.  I have read most of them, but there are a few that are specifically hers which don't appeal to me.

I could spend hours in a bookstore.  Actually, that probably isn't true.  I seem to immediately find an armful of books that I am interested in reading and am ready to head to the checkout counter so that I can get started on them.  The only exception to that is when I have limited myself to a specific amount of money that I am willing to spend that particular trip and have difficulty choosing which of the many desirable choices I want to invest in.

Yesterday was one of those days that I had more books than I could comfortably carry within about five minutes of entering the store.  My wife is a little more choosey in her reading and it took her a little longer, so I then proceeded to annoy her (probably) by helping her find books.  I'm saying, "What about this one?  Did you see this?  You might like this one." or, some such, while she is likely thinking, "Please, let me look on my own!"

After awhile she said, "Are you ready to check out?  I'm hungry."  Of course, I had been ready for some time, but was perfectly willing to let her shop.  Yeah, I'm not much fun to go shopping with.  Browsing isn't my thing.  Let me go find what I want, get it bought and get out.

Now, to work through this stack of books.  Which one first....?

No comments:

Google