Monday, July 30, 2018

Obsessed by Politics?

I hate politics.  I hate politics.  I hate politics.

Now that you know how I feel about politics I'm going to write about politics.

I am fiscally conservative and somewhat middle-of-the-road on many social issues.  If I were to identify with any particular candidate it would probably be a mix of Ted Cruz and Rand Paul.  To sum it up, quit taking my money and spending it wastefully and quit trying to legislate morality.  Protect our borders, negotiate free trade, but let people live their life the way they want as long as it doesn't directly infringe on the rights of others.

The media is obsessed by politics.  Why?  I suppose it is the greatest source of drama and controversy available and we all know that is what sells.  The only possible greater source would be Hollywood which seems to thrive on controversy.  Both are driven by the "look at me" syndrome of a child who just wants to be noticed.

I suppose that in a nutshell, it takes a narcissist to want to be a politician.  I have a hard time going around begging people for money so that I can confiscate more of their money, attempt to run their lives and then expect them to "worship" me for what I did to them.  Just leave me alone.  Provide an environment in which I can take my own path in the "pursuit of happiness."  That's probably why I took a path other than politics.

Am I obsessed with politics too?  I guess in a way I am.  I am obsessed with a hatred of it.  Hate is a strong word that I don't use very often.  Perhaps righteous anger would be a better description of how I feel -- or may righteous indignation.  I am indignant that our political system has devolved to such a level.

It doesn't surprise me though.  Fallen mankind is acting out the age-old drama of placing "self" in the center of all things.  Until we elect political representatives (notice the switch in terms here) that place their faith in God rather than themselves, nothing will change.

No comments:

Google