Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Dreams of Youth


I saw there in the distance,
Taking shape before my eye,
A tower of water vapor
Reaching upward to the sky.

The promise that it offered
Caused my heart within me leap
In joy for cooling moisture
That across the Plains did creep.

The swelling, spreading blossom
Seemed slowly drawing nigh
Yet in the heat it fizzled;
It was all an awful lie.

There within me sank
The beating organ in my chest
As I saw the withered grasses
Stretching far into the west.

I knew that it was normal,
Part of life's great ebb and flow;
I couldn't help but ponder
Why it sent my feelings low.

Deep within my being
Tiny sparks came into sight
Of dreams that had been shattered
Yet, still there was a light

Shining brightly in the distance,
Growing clearer in my head,
Of good times now remembered
In this life that I have led.

The things that once I cherished
Were now no longer sought;
Replaced by higher treasures
Which love and tears had bought

And I saw the fleeting vanity
Of each and every goal,
Knowing time, with healing answers,
Would bring peace within my soul.

Rising there before me
Were the things I'd held in vain
Dissolving in the droplets
Of gently falling rain.

No comments:

Google