Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Anticipation and Determination


The days are getting shorter and in spite of the omnipresent heat, there are signs that Fall is just around the corner.  From the time I get up in the morning until the sun rises is over an hour.  Dove hunting season begins in less than two weeks; I've seen lots of those silvery-gray bullets darting around the area, practicing their evasive maneuvers.

I'm looking forward to the cooling weather, college football, hunting season and harvest time.  Yes, even in the cattle business there is a harvest time.  For the cow/calf rancher it is when the calves have been weaned and pre-conditioned and are ready to head to wheat pasture for awhile, or possibly straight to the feedlot where they will be fattened for the "final" harvest.

Fall is also a time when many herds are calving.  In fact, Fall calving has begun at our place.  We have a small group of cows that will be calving over the coming weeks.

I enjoy Fall.  Growing up in the Plains my eyes developed a desire to see great distances, unhindered by objects in the way.  Here, in Northeast Texas, the trees block my vision and I often feel enclosed.  When the trees shed their leaves during the Fall and Winter it gives me a sense of being able to see again! -- if only a little further into what is impenetrable greenery during the summer.

Perhaps it is the changing season that is enhancing my anticipatory mood.  I have a sense of change on the horizon and it promises to be exciting.  Hopefully, it will prove to be good change.  I firmly believe it will be and will do all I can to make it so.  The trouble is, right now I have no idea what it will be!  I do know that I am determined to make the best of it.

No comments:

Google