Sunday, August 11, 2019

Coffee and Cinnamon Rolls


It's that time of year when all of the cows
Look for a swimming hole
To cool their hides and drown some flies,
Drink coffee and eat cinnamon rolls.

Well, I've never offered 'em coffee
And as to a cinnamon roll?
I wouldn't give it to my cows
It's for filling my own pie hole.

I've been to Alaska and even to Maine
And they sound good this time of year
'Cause it's hotter than Hades here in this place
And it's cooking this old hide I fear.

Every August it gets this way
It happens each trip without fail;
I'd like to replace it with April or, June
In that calendar up on the nail.

The grass is all brown, trees dropping leaves
And the water dried up in the creek;
I got stopped by a rabbit with half-empty canteen
Asking directions to the nearest water leak.

Texas in August is not for the meek
And no home for the Heavenly Host;
It serves as reminder to straighten our ways
Or, He'll give us to Satan to roast!

No comments:

Google