Wednesday, February 6, 2019

The Supreme Ruler's Advisor

This is one of those days when the "300 Writing Prompts" book comes out because nothing seems to "catch" in my mind as a good subject about which to write otherwise.  This one is interesting:  "If and when you become the Supreme Ruler of the World, who will be your top advisor?"

There is a lot packed into that subject.  1)  It assumes a one-world government which is something I think is a bad idea -- at least at this point in history.  There is too much inequality of thought, of experience, of affluence and of values for it to work without a heavy-handed approach.  2)  It assumes I would want to be Supreme Ruler of the World which I think would be an overwhelming burden.  3)  It assumes that any one person or, their advisor is capable of ruling the world.

We are each very different from the other.  This is a key point that one-world enthusiasts refuse to accept.  I suspect it is because they see themselves as the ideal and believe others should be just like them.  It is a very self-centered view that is inaccurate because, quite simply, although we are all made in the image of God, we are not God and therefore imperfect.  The imperfections we each carry are the variation.

Because of our differences, we each see things differently.  Sometimes we even have ambivalent opinions within our own minds about some issues.  How can we expect agreement when there are differences in how we view things?

Setting all of that aside, let's focus on what I see as the more interesting part of the question -- "...who will be your top advisor?"

To come up with one person is a challenge, so first I will list some qualities that I would deem important.

1) Wisdom.  Wisdom is earned through age and experience, however, wisdom is also something we perceive in others and therefore somewhat dependent on our own perceptions.  Psalm 111:10 says, "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom; all who follow his precepts have good understanding.  To him belongs eternal praise."  Based on that alone, the advisor would have to be someone who acknowledges the supremacy of God and is devoted to Him in every aspect.  Now, to many it gets tricky because they would argue that there are many different gods and different approaches to him -- i.e. Judaism, Christianity, Budhism, Islam, etc.  I believe there is One God and only One Way to approach Him and that is through belief in Jesus Christ as Savior.  Two thirds of the world would not see that as wisdom and there would be immediate resistance/division.

2) Peace-loving.  My advisor would have to desire peace.  What is peace?  I can only answer that by saying I am most at peace when I accept that God is in control and place my complete trust in Him to resolve whatever issues I may face.

3)  Warrior.  Although this seems to conflict with the previous attribute, it does not.  Sometimes peace is only achieved through a willingness to defend what is right.  Sometimes it is only won through conflict.

4) Humility.  When one focuses only on self they cannot see the impact on others.  I would want an advisor who is able to set their own glory aside so they can see the cost and benefit of each and every decision to others who may not think like them.

5) Empathy.  Not only must they see and know intellectually the impact of decisions, they must be able to feel compassion for others.  If you cannot recognize joy or pain in others, you cannot help them.

6) Initiative.  Doing what needs to be done without waiting to be told is crucial.

7) Action-oriented.  An advisor must also be an actor -- not in the Hollywood sense, but in making things happen.  They should not just "talk a good game" but, live it, do it, be it.

8) Coach.  Everyone needs a coach.  They need someone to help them to be better.  Period.

9) Patient.  Waiting on others or, events to occur in the appropriate time is critical.  You cannot force things to happen before the proper time, or there will be failure.

10) Honest.  Being willing to provide appropriate advice no matter how it will be taken is crucial.  If I am wrong I need to know it.  If there are issues that need to be handled, I need to know it.  If I won't like what I hear but, it needs to be brought into the light it should be.  There is no place for deception.

I'm sure there are other qualities that would be desirable, but these are the ones that come quickly to mind.  I think these attributes are important for each of us to develop within ourselves.  I will never be the Supreme Ruler of the World and I frankly hope we never see one but,  I can be a better person and more effective in what I do.  I need someone who can be there for me who has each of the listed qualities no matter what role I might play in this old world.  We all do.  Perhaps the highest aspiration we can have is to be that person.

No comments:

Google