Monday, February 18, 2019

Refuge or Trap?

Yesterday, my mind was exposed to at least two references to a World War II bomb shelter.  The first was in a book I am reading and the second was in a movie we watched last night.  I am quite certain they are what triggered a dream I awoke to sometime during the night which included a WWII bomb shelter.

The dream was strange because it began with some type of museum tour of an ancient building complex that was little more than foundations.  It was laid out in a circular pattern somewhat like ancient pueblo dwellings (which I also saw a photo of yesterday).  I was following a tour guide through the ruins as the trail wound around a bowl-shaped structure and began to descend underground.  There was no one else to be seen anywhere among the ruins.

As we proceeded to enter an underground area there were a few people scattered about looking at the exhibits which were much more modern than I had anticipated.  It was fairly roomy inside the structure as the pathway continued forward.

We then descended additional steps into a cramped room filled with people in which there was an additional trap door leading into an even deeper room.  The guide was explaining that it was a WWII bomb shelter that had been constructed beneath the ruins.

It was at that moment my claustrophobia kicked in and I headed back out as quickly as possible.

Tight spaces don't bother me too much unless there are lots of people.  I have always wondered why that is the case.  It happens sometimes in a crowded room.  I think it is more about being too closely surrounded by people than walls, but the combination of the two is difficult for me to handle.  I don't like the feeling of being trapped.  I need a clear "flight path."  Maybe it is simply survival instinct.

I think all of us have phobias of one kind or, another.  Some people fear snakes, or rodents, or certain types of insects.  Many have a fear of spiders.  Such fears intrigue me.  What is it that makes us focus our fears on very specific things?  Is it an experience sometime in the murky past?  I suspect that is often the case, but don't know.

In spite of the "fear trigger" in my dream, I found it interesting.  I often think preparedness in the form of some type of emergency shelter is wise.  With the strange things going on in Washington and other places across our country I wonder sometimes if we all should construct a place of safety -- of refuge -- against the potential storms which might be unleashed in the form of political turmoil.

A physical refuge is great, but ultimately we need a spiritual refuge.  I am thankful that mine is in place.  I hope yours is too. 

"Keep me safe, O God, for in you I take refuge." -- Psalm 16:1

No comments:

Google