Monday, February 11, 2019

History, Science and Art

I am back to the book of "300 Writing Prompts" for inspiration this morning.  The question is: "Would you rather spend the day at an art museum, science museum, or history museum?"

My answer is a resounding, "Yes."  I like all three.

We don't go to museums frequently, however we have been to all three types through the years.  When it comes to an art museum, my favorite is probably the Amon Carter in Fort Worth.  It holds works by both Remington and Russell who are my favorite western artists.  The action and authenticity of their work amazes me.  They aren't "like a photograph" but, they convey even more, I think, than a photograph could do.  The figures seem to leap off the canvas for me.

As for science museum, my most memorable experience was the museum at Los Alamos National Laboratory when the museum was still located on the laboratory property outside of Los Alamos.  I went as a youngster and was amazed even then at the nuclear technology.  We have since been to it after it was moved to the Bradbury building in downtown Los Alamos and it was very good, but it was too "programmed" to suit me.  Modern museum displays are all the same with buttons and interactive gadgets.  The original museum had a much more "raw" feel to it.  To me, it was as though you were truly "touching" history, whereas the modern exhibits feel more "educational" in nature.

My favorite history museum is the Panhandle-Plains Historical Museum in Canyon, Texas.  There are many reasons for this choice.  1)  It is primarily focused on the area of the country where I grew up.  2)  It is very "western" in nature.  3)  It includes many amazing pieces of art as well as historical artifacts.  4)  It is one of the largest historical museums in the country.  I have visited many times through the years and they change their displays on a reasonably regular basis.  It also has evolved through time to have that more "educational" feel about it, but many of the artifacts remain the same such as Charles Goodnight's original chuckwagon.  It is definitely worth the trip if you are ever in the Amarillo area.  It is also only a short distance from Palo Duro Canyon.  If you visit one, I would encourage you to visit both.  If during the summer season, make plans to take in the outdoor dramatic presentation of "Texas."  It is worth your time.

Historical museums (which include science museums) are important for giving us perspective.  Understanding where we have been helps us to understand why things are as they are today.  Most change is gradual and technology evolves through stages -- this includes weapons which evolved from rocks and clubs to modern rockets and space-based weaponry.  It includes tools such as those used in the cattle industry which range from the lariat to modern DNA analytic technologies.  Every industry develops through an evolutionary process.  Even political issues go through an evolution over time.

To me, art museums, although overlapping in some areas with history, are a different creature altogether.  They allow us to touch a "higher" self.  Quality art is uplifting, it is enlightening and it is inspiring.  Some of what is passed off as art today is not enduring except as a curiosity.  The better museums, however, will have works that have endured for centuries alongside more modern works that are likely to endure or, which represent current "fads."  Often, the displays portray history.  Viewing a Revolutionary War battlefield from the perspective of an artist of that time -- who witnessed the battle -- provides insight into our historical perceptions.

Perhaps, upon reflection, I would prefer to spend my day in an art museum.  All three appeal to me, but as I have written this, my thoughts have clarified.  Man's attempt to "touch" perfection is most clearly displayed through art.  I think down deep, that is something we all desire.

No comments:

Google