Sunday, October 20, 2019

Air Show Time!


Yesterday was the first day of the Bell Fort Worth Alliance Air Show.  If you are in the area, you might still have time to go see it today.  It is only the second time I've ever attended an air show, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The lineup this year included the U.S. Navy's Blue Angels as well as an F-16, F-22 Raptor and an F-35.  The performance of all of those aircraft is impressive and it is no wonder our military forces dominate the sky.

To me, though, the aircraft that brought a lump to my throat is the one in the image above; the P-51 Mustang which arguably was the most innovative of its time and gave the British and U.S. forces the edge they needed to win the air war in World War II.  The speed and maneuverability of this plane is impressive even today, almost 80 years after it first rolled off the assembly line.

A Boeing B-52 Stratofortress even made a low-level flyover pass.   It has been a workhorse for the U.S. military for over 50 years and is expected to remain a part of our military presence until after 2040.

If you have never attended an air show, I would encourage you to do so.  The Alliance Show is one of the bigger ones, but there are many smaller venues around the country.  In the meantime, here's a link to a video (not mine) of the Blue Angels.

1 comment:

jbboren said...

I've loved air shows since I was a kid and go whenever I get a chance. I've had the opportunity to see the demo of just about every US fighter from the F-4 Phantom up to the F/A-18. I've yet to see the F-22 or F-35.

The most impressive of them all was (believe it or not) the F-14 Tomcat. What an incredible piece of machinery!

The A-10 Warthog was also one of my favorites. Taking it out of service in an era of small-unit ground combat was a big mistake.

Enjoy the show, Chris!

Google