Friday, October 4, 2019

A Feral Shish Kabob?


This long-legged bug eater was earning his slot in the environment late yesterday.  It has been hanging around our place for awhile.  I was out checking cattle when I spotted him striding deliberately through the grass.  Every few steps his long beak would dart to the ground and capture an insect.  Then, in a lightening-quick motion, the long neck would form an S-shape and with beak pointed upward it would gulp the insect in one swift bite.

The Great Egret, Ardea alba, is a large bird.  They can be almost 4 feet tall and have a wingspan nearing 5 feet.  The only wading bird we see in our area that is larger is the Great Blue Heron.  I was amazed at how this one let me watch him from a distance of less than 40 yards for several minutes before becoming nervous and flying off.

According to a recently released report, North America has lost around 1/4 of its birds in the last 50 years.  I have no doubt this is true, but out in the wide-open spaces where ranching is the primary way-of-life, I see more birds than ever.  In the cities, however, you not only have the paving over of the land, you have millions of feral cats that prey on birds.  I would strongly encourage you to read the linked story.

I think if a feral cat attempted to eat the Great Egret he might become a shish kabob.  Now, that would be an interesting sight!

No comments:

Google