Saturday, October 12, 2019

Our Gate Guard


It's kind of hard to make out the details on the uniform our "gate guard" wears, but if you click on the photo and enlarge it, they are quite impressive.  This little guy moved into the latch on our front gate very soon after it was installed.  As you can see by the rust and chipped paint, he has been there for awhile.  I think it is a Bold Jumping Spider, Phidippus audax.  He isn't much bigger than a dime and his aqua-colored eyes probably glow in the dark.

I'm impressed that it has survived as long as it has.  He stays right around the spring-latch on the gate which sees lots of activity.  It's surprising he hasn't been smashed by the latch which is spring activated, or that some human hasn't squashed him.  It could be that he is just too quick for anyone to catch.  I had a hard time getting him to sit still for the photo.

My daughter is not a big fan of spiders.  Arachnophobia is pretty common.  I have to admit that I don't like them crawling on me and I sure hate walking into a web unexpectedly.  Spiders are everywhere.  They are great at thinning the insect populations.

We've let this little one live on our gate for quite some time.  I hope the next owners give him the same consideration....

No comments:

Google