Wednesday, July 31, 2019

The Spider Dance


Every time I walk the woods
I have to break a trail
Even though I take
The same path without fail.

It seems that there's a creature
Whose worldly task must be
To weave a web across my way
Just to torture me.

Spiders, spiders, everywhere;
Some large and some so small
That you must look quite closely
If you would see them at all.

Their artistry with silken thread
Is something to behold,
But stringing them across my path
Is getting kind of old.

Sometimes I can see them
And take a different way
Or, maybe break them with a stick
Used like a sword to slay,

But, there are times they catch me
Right across my face
And thoughts that race there in my mind
Are not so full of grace.

If you could see me as I flail
About there in the wood
You'd wonder what was going on
And think I'd lost my mind for good!

The photo is of a Yellow Garden Spider (Argiope aurantia) which is common in our area.  

No comments:

Google