Sunday, July 28, 2019

Release and Renewal


Then, at the end of my walk
I came to the place
Where the waters meet the land,
Incessantly moving
In their restless quest
To reduce it to sand.

It was a place of peace
And the sound of birds
Permeated the light breeze,
Wafting scents of salt air,
Replacing the heat of day
With coolness of night.

Without shoes I paced
The damp, fine grains,
Soothing the tiredness
Which drained into the
Surging waters lapping
About my feet.

Cares, unwinding from
My shoulders and my heart,
Fell unbidden into
The frothy waves
To be carried away
And devoured.

Release became
Renewal.

Sometimes we just need to get away to a place that allows us to forget the cares of the day and the burdens of work.  We need to be renewed.  I'm not a fan of a hot sandy beach with the sun beating down, but to me, there is nothing more relaxing than walking along the shore as evening approaches, or early on a cool morning when there are few people about.  Very rarely have I had such experiences because I have lived my life far from the ocean, but the few I have are anchored in my mind in such a way that I can call them up and remember the peaceful feeling.

(Photo taken at Marco Island, Florida, a few years ago.) 

No comments:

Google