Monday, July 29, 2019

Productivity and Potential


Out in our pastures we have several different types of soil.  Some of it is thin and some of it is much deeper.  Some is clay-based and some of it has a lot of sand.  In the creek bottoms there is a lot of silt that has built up over the years and is fairly deep.  The photo is of a patch of native Bermuda grass that caught my eye yesterday.  It is in an area that is fairly flat, but sloping slightly toward a pond.  I should have captured a photo of some of the nearby areas that don't look this way, but instead, I was drawn to this patch of grass that is virtually flawless.

It has been "rested."  There have been no cattle on it for a couple of months and it is seeded out.  It is weedless as far as I can tell.  It is not extremely tall and "rank" like some Bermuda can get.  It is just right.

It made me think of people.

I thought of people in the context of the grass.  Some people are rooted in good soil -- they were "raised right" as the folks where I grew up like to say.  Their roots are sunk deeply into a heritage that provides an advantage for them to grow and prosper.  As they do so -- as they flourish -- they are able to keep out the weeds that rob moisture and nutrients.  They remain strong.

I also thought of people in the context of the soil.  Some people are nourishing -- they lend strength to others.  Some are shallow and with little substance.  Some are hard and treat others in ways that are harmful.  Some are full of "weeds" that rob them of the joys of life.  I guess I'm reminded of the Biblical parable of the seeds and different types of soils.

Soil can be built up over time.  Weeds can be controlled by pulling or, spraying.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that we don't have to be stuck in the circumstances we may find ourselves in.  Growing up disadvantaged doesn't mean you have to remain that way.  I know plenty of people who started with all the advantages you can imagine that went the other direction.  Unlike with the grasses growing in our pasture, we can improve ourselves and we can improve our circumstances.  We can work to dig out the weeds that rob us of our productivity and our joy.  By nurturing those things that we can, we can build ourselves -- just as a growing plant helps to build new soil.

My thoughts this morning may be poorly stated, but perhaps they can be deciphered from this brief commentary.  I hope everyone who reads this will allow good things to take root in them and that they will invest the effort to nurture those good things so they produce even more.  Whatever talents or, resources may be available to you, don't waste them.  Build with them and let them build you.


No comments:

Google