Thursday, July 25, 2019

Focus and Squirrels


Have you ever noticed that when you really want to focus on something important, a dozen distractions seem to pop up out of nowhere?  A good friend of mine describes it as, "Oh, look, there's a squirrel!"  I know where he gets that descriptive comment; he's a dog lover and nothing can change the focus of a dog faster than the sudden appearance of a squirrel.

I like squirrels.  I also like distractions when I'm in the middle of some boring task that has lulled my mind into a semi-stupor that causes my eyes to go into auto-close mode.  There are times though, when a distraction is the last thing I need because I am in hot pursuit of some brilliant thought that is running like crazy and if I don't stay on its trail it will get away from me.

Redbone Hounds are probably my favorite dog.  They can focus about as well as any creature I have ever seen.  If one has a scent in their nose their head will be down, tail up and they will be loping along the faint trail of volatile chemicals wafting just above the surface that only they can smell.  When that happens, look out truck because they will run right in front of you without so much as looking up.  We lost one that way.  I suppose focus can have its downside.

For me, the best way to get time to focus on a problem that requires it, is to instill the discipline of no e-mail distraction, no phone distraction, door closed, "KEEP OUT" sign that creates a momentary sanctuary of self-imposed isolation.  That's hard to do in the business world.  Sometimes it is necessary, but it is something that shouldn't be abused.  I also am a firm believer in accessibility.  Being available and open to the needs of others is an extremely important aspect of being effective in the world.  There must be balance.

I know the CEO/Owner of a substantial company who is highly accessible.  He frequently answers the phone if everyone else in the office is busy.  He freely gives out his cell phone number.  He isn't much on chit-chat, but he is accessible for business; however, there are times he will close his door and tell the receptionist to hold all calls.  It usually isn't for long, but if he needs focus-time, he will do it.  Then, of course, he spends the next however-long-it-takes returning all of the calls he missed.  I have never known him to not return a call.  Those two attributes are part of his success formula.  He does occasionally "chase squirrels."  He loves airplanes and helicopters and owns a few.  If you want to get him "off subject" just bring up flying.

As in so many things, I relate my work life back to nature.  It's all about balance.  Sometimes we need to focus, but there are other times...."Look!  There's a squirrel!"

No comments:

Google