Thursday, October 4, 2018

A Road Map

I think, as I recall,
It was about in third grade
That we were taught in school
To read a map.

It is something that
Instilled in me a love
For such things and at one time
I considered a career

In Cartography which is
The art of creating those
Maps that are a window
Into the imagination,

Much like the written word.
I remember many trips
Taken with my family
In which I would sit with

Map unfolded in the back
Seat as I traced our progress
Along the route from where
We began to where we

Were headed and I would
Ask questions about the places
Along the way and why we
Didn't take alternate routes.

Through the years I have
Accumulated maps of various
Places and I have them tucked
Away in boxes or drawers

And I even have a giant cardboard tube
Received from the United States
Geological Survey that contains
Detailed maps of Texas

That if unrolled would cover
Four walls in our home.
Maps have been a source of joy
For me through the years.

As I write this I have beside me
A 2018 Official Travel Map of
The State of Texas with the photo
Of an American Bison on the front

That was taken at Caprock Canyons
State Park which is one of my favorite
Places to visit.  When unfolded,
It covers the top of a table

Where I can look at all of the
Roads and rivers and counties
And cities and tiny wide spots
Along the way that dot

Our mighty state and I
Remember places where I have
Been and think of those where
I have yet to go and my mind

Wanders until I realize I
Need to get on with my day
And so I neatly fold the map
And place it back on the shelf.

It was then my thoughts came
Full circle to that third grade
Class where we learned to fold
The map properly.

Kids today just close the application
On their "smart" device.
They will never know the frustration
Of an improperly folded map.

1 comment:

fillikir72518 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Google