Friday, November 29, 2019

Thankful for Health


On this Day 6 of thankfulness challenge, I am thankful for my health.  It is easy to take our health for granted until we have problems.  I have been very fortunate that there have been no major health issues to face.

It seems that I have reached the age when many of my contemporaries are dealing with bodies that are wearing out.  I read on social media of knee replacements and hip replacements, of surgeries and heart problems.  So far, knock on wood, I've not had those difficulties.

I have found that walking/moving/staying active is the biggest boost to how well I feel.  The more active I am, the better I feel.  If there are periods when work, or weather, chains me to a chair, I begin to feel as if my energy level is diminishing.  The longer it occurs, the worse the feeling until I no longer want to do anything and begin to feel unhealthy.  If I will intentionally, or otherwise, get plenty of exercise in a day, I feel better.  It doesn't have to be strenuous, just enough to get the circulation moving -- to elevate the heart rate from normal.

I think we all are called to an active lifestyle.  We are not made to remain stationary.  We are made to go and to do as long as we are alive.  Not only is it true of our bodies, but of our minds as well.  We need to keep active and engaged mentally as well as physically.  Read a book, work a puzzle, solve the worlds problems at coffee with your friends -- do something to keep your mind engaged.

I suppose I am thinking of this from the perspective of my age group, but it applies to all ages.  Go and do, work and play, remain active and relevant because once you stop doing those things your body and mind will begin to die.  Okay, we begin to die the day we are born, but our time on this earth is brief, make an impact while you are here and don't hasten the day when you will move on to the next adventure -- leave that in God's hands.

"Dear friend, I pray that you may enjoy good health and that all may go well with you, even as your soul is getting along well." -- 3 John:2

No comments:

Google