Friday, November 8, 2019

Telemarketers and Politics




Do you ever have one of those days when you want to go completely off grid?  Yep, I do too.  It's the constant bombardment from telemarketers.  It's "open enrollment" time and the telemarketers are calling 3 or 4 times a day.  Now, they are even sending text messages.  I wonder if the companies funding all of the unsolicited calls will ever figure out that they are wasting their time on me!  There must be enough gullible souls out there that make it worth their while.

It is extremely difficult to be anonymous anymore.  You can't even pay cash for something without them asking for a phone number or, e-mail address.  Society is just a small step away from requiring your fingerprint, or some other form of permanent identification in order to do anything.  It seems there is something in the book of Revelation about that.

Some would argue that "if you have nothing to hide, what difference does it make?"  My response is that it is a matter of freedom.  If your every movement is tracked, you are not free, merely an animal in a cage to be exploited by your masters.  I suppose there are enough people who prefer a state of dependence to the risks of freedom; that's why the voters keep sending the same people back to Washington.

Personally, I would prefer to take my chances without their "nanny state" control.  Let me make my own choices with how I spend my money and my time.  I'm willing to take some physical risks if it means not being subjected to "police state-like" conditions at airports and courthouses.  Have you noticed that the heaviest security measures are in place to protect the lawmakers?  Think about that for a minute.  Why are they so concerned for their own security?  Perhaps they think "their subjects" will be upset when they eventually become wise to the fact they are "subjects" and not free citizens.

So, how did I get from telemarketers to security around the lawmakers?  Do you really think your Senators and Representatives get bombarded with telemarketers all day long?  I feel certain their phone numbers are kept out of the lists they sell to the companies that are making the calls.  Come to think of it, most of the telemarketers are selling insurance.  Now, I wonder whose pocket the lawmakers are in....

No comments:

Google