Saturday, November 9, 2019

Pink Flowering Dogwood


We are finally getting some fall colors around here.  This is a pink flowering Dogwood (Cornus florida) that is in our front yard.  It is one of my favorite trees because of the flowers in the spring and the deep red leaves and bright red seed clusters in the fall.

I have often wondered how the dogwood got its name and find it is thought to originate from its use in treating dogs with mange.  The wood is dense and very hard and has been used for making golf clubs among other things.  There aren't many wooden shafted golf clubs around anymore.

Where we live is on the western edge of the range of native dogwood trees.  There are a few scattered throughout the woods in our area.  Most of the wild ones seem to be of the white variety.  Often, there are wild dogwoods alongside wild redbud trees which create nice splashes of color as you travel through in early spring.

Growing up in an area with few trees, I probably have a greater appreciation for them than most people around here.  Trees around here are about like weeds at home (hmmm...I guess I still think of the Texas Panhandle as home); if you give them any space, they will take over.  We constantly must  monitor our flowerbeds for seedling trees growing in them.  If you don't pull them when they are small, they quickly become large problems.  Many people who don't deal with them in a timely manner find cracked foundations and damage to their homes from trees sprouting near them.

I suppose most people take such things for granted, but it is interesting to me because of my early years without many trees.  Maybe in my old age it just doesn't take much to keep me entertained....


No comments:

Google