Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Remote Office

The technology we wear on our wrist or carry in our pocket these days is amazing -- especially to us old gray heads that remember rotary dial phones and the first Texas Instruments calculators.  There really is no need for a "brick and mortar" office unless you have some type of business that requires machinery or stock of some sort.

I can accept a phone call from anywhere in the world, put it on speaker and then switch to e-mail to look at a document while still talking.  If by chance I am interrupted by a text from someone else I can respond to that text while continuing with my conversation.  If we then decide someone else needs to be involved in the conversation it is easy enough to add an additional caller with the touch of a few "buttons" on the screen.  A friend of mine even has his phone connected by Bluetooth to his hearing aid.  I'm not there yet.

I have been known to participate in conference calls while sitting in an ATV at the farthest end of the pasture.  No one knows whether I am at my desk or traveling down the road unless I tell them.

I wonder what the next technological innovation will be?  I foresee a computer built into my glasses that is manipulated by voice and optical movement -- oh, wait, I think they already have that but, it's too expensive for the average user.  Maybe the next innovation will project the images into my brain through some type of neurological interface.  I will be able to manipulate the functionality by thoughts alone.  I don't think I'm ready for that one yet....

Whatever is next, I'm sure it will become just the routine way of doing things after a short while.  The kids today don't even know what a rotary phone is!

No comments:

Google