Wednesday, August 1, 2018

A Neglected Hobby


About four years ago I decided to try a new hobby -- watercolor painting.  Above is a sample of what I painted.  This one is probably my favorite.  I drew it from a historic photograph I found on the Internet.

It is a bit caricaturish -- I'm sure that isn't a word, but it describes it anyway.  The most difficult part was drawing the picture.  Mixing colors with watercolor seemed fairly simple to me except for the fact that I usually didn't get quite enough mixed up of the color that I wanted and then had to attempt to recreate it.  Sometimes the match was fairly good and sometimes not.

To me, watercolor seems more forgiving than many other paints.  That may just be my naivete talking.  I drew a little when much younger, but never attempted painting.  In spite of the amateurish look, I suppose I was proud of it.

It is easy to become discouraged when attempting something new like this at such a late stage in life -- especially when the vision in my head doesn't quite make it onto paper in the same way it is in my head.  I need to find time to work at it some more.  It just takes me awhile to get in the right frame of mind to be creative.  Maybe the next attempts will be a little better....

No comments:

Google