Sunday, August 12, 2018

A Reason to Write

I have been asked by some why it is that I write this blog.  Blog -- now that's a strange word.  For those who don't know it is a shortened form of Web Log.  It is a method of journaling designed for cooperation between researchers who might be at a great distance from each other.  Anyway, back to the subject of this paragraph -- why I write this blog.  It is actually quite simple; it is to discipline myself to write every day.

There are many who have found ways to monetize their blog.  If the site generates sufficient traffic, or "hits," it can be lucrative to advertisers to have their ads placed on the blog in hopes that someone will click on them.  Advertisers pay for the placement of those ads.  This happens on political blogs and book, movie or, product review blogs.  At one time, in fact as one of the reasons I started the blog many years ago, I thought to do the same.  My  reasons have evolved though and that is no longer my purpose.

Perhaps a better question to ask is why do I like to write?  That really is the heart of the issue.  Most people don't seem to write much unless for business purposes.  For me, it is therapeutic.  It also helps me to organize my thoughts in a way that I can "test" them.  What I mean is that it forces me to evaluate the logic of an argument in such a way that it either enforces or disproves (at least based on my current level of knowledge) any theory I might have about controversial topics.

Hmmm....I have been trying to avoid most controversial topics since restarting this blog other than a few political observations at the beginning.  I suppose that is because I find little value in attempting to inject reason into the realm of politics since it is a field which seems to be completely devoid of reason.

Ultimately, I must confess (mainly to myself), I aspire someday to write a book.  I have started many and finished none.  That probably says something of my character, however, I will blame it on busy-ness rather than on lack of ability to stick with a project.  It seems that every time I embark on a work requiring extended focus I seem to get busy with work.  It is in the slow times that my mind returns to writing.

Writing, like any other skill, requires practice.  This blog is about practice.  It gives me a reason (artificial construct though it is) to write something each and every day.  Hopefully there will occasionally be an "accidental" gem produced that someone will find who is in need of that particular reflection of my experiences and thoughts.  I suppose in that sense, the blog's purpose is two-fold -- practice and a desire to share something of value.  Value is, after all, in the eye of the beholder.  It has often been said that one man's trash is another man's treasure.

As you may have guessed if you have read to this point, today is a day in which I struggled to find something about which to write.  So, I have written of writing.  If you are a writer, you are familiar with the struggle.  For the rest of you, pray for rain; we are in the midst of a drought here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

From a writer to a writer my muse is different. Instead of a way to organize my thoughts, for me it is words falling out of my head. The act itself is almost as easy as breathing but not always coming out in the most logical way. My editor makes me look better than I deserve. It is one of the joys of my life, found late in life and treasured.

Google