Thursday, February 13, 2020

Consumed by Flames


If you look closely at the image of the fire you might see the Flame Monster looking off to the right.  That was random, I'll admit, but it just popped out at me when I posted the picture.  Do you see it?

What is it about fire that mesmerizes us?  I can sit and look at a fire for long periods and it is relaxing.  How can something so destructive be relaxing?  I suspect it is a remnant programmed into our DNA from times long past when fire meant safety, food and warmth.

I love a campfire and I enjoy campfire cooking.  There is an art to building a fire that will start quickly, burn brightly and build a bed of coals that will cast warmth for hours long after the flames have died to memory.

As I write I keep thinking there must be some deeper meaning that I can extract from this, but it just isn't happening.  All that comes to mind is the sound of insects and frogs along with the roar and crackle of the fire as I sit and contemplate -- yep, I almost said stare at the fire.  Contemplate conveys purpose and depth whereas "stare" is empty and meaningless.  Maybe that's part of the attraction -- to let the cares be consumed by the flames, allowing the mind to rest and the peacefulness of a spring evening to cleanse us as we become one with the blaze.  Yep, I'm thinking spring again....

No comments:

Google