Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Observing Wildlife

If I had known more about the various career opportunities when I was in High School, I probably would have pursued a degree in Wildlife Biology, or something similar, upon graduation.  I had a very limited knowledge of such possibilities in the small town in which I grew up and my only exposure to anything along that path was to game wardens.  I didn't really want to be in law enforcement at the time so, I headed down a different road.

I have always enjoyed observing and learning about the behavior of wildlife.  I remember as a kid, Texas Parks & Wildlife published what I recall as single-page profiles of wildlife in the state.  It would have a photograph of the animal and describe habitat, behavior and how to identify tracks, etc.  I used to love studying those.  I seem to remember one that was covered with tracks and how to identify an animal from those tracks.

Many times, weekends would find me traipsing around the pastures of my granddad's place out on Runningwater Draw.  I would often be carrying a shotgun, or rifle, or be focused on finding an arrowhead or, potsherd.  Always, though, I would be looking for animals.  It didn't matter if it was a lizard, a dung beetle or, a coyote, I wanted to see wildlife.  Plants also interested me.  It didn't have to be animals.  Blooming yucca (which we called beargrass) or, various other growing things always found me bent down, looking at the leaves and the blooms.

I remember Grandpa telling me that with few exceptions, if a cow would eat it, so could I.  This is generally a good rule-of-thumb as long as the cattle have plenty to eat.  When forage is sparse, they will sometimes eat plants that should be avoided.

I still enjoy watching for and observing wildlife.  The other day we saw a young bobcat beside the road as we were headed out to our place in the country.  Yesterday, as I was returning to town, I saw a Crested Caracara.  It was scavenging road kill on the edge of the road.  It seemed relatively unafraid and flew to a nearby fence post as I drove by.  I paused and took its photo.




No comments:

Google