Saturday, May 11, 2019

Birds and Trees and Rain

I'm listening to a mourning dove outside my window this morning.  Every morning I am greeted by the sound of the birds.  Sometimes it's the screech of a bluejay, or the song of a cardinal.  Usually it is the many sparrows that inhabit the trees surrounding our house.  I enjoy hearing them, but this morning that dove is getting on my nerves.

One of the bird calls that I really enjoy is that of an owl.  We have several owls that inhabit the woods on our place.  Their deep "who-whoo-who-whooo" is a sound that is distinct and infrequent.  They are shy and will usually fly away at the approach of any two-legged critters.  You might see a flash between the trees as they soar from the top of one of the forest giants to another, high up in the canopy.  It is amazing to me how they maneuver between the branches without running into a limb.  In my mind I see a cartoonish vision of an owl flying "whap" into a tree.  That would be me.

Today would be a great day for a walk in the woods.  The problem is that it is supposed to rain most of the day and even if it quit, I doubt I could cross the creek.  I suspect it is running fairly full as it has been for weeks now.  It is cooler today and with the dampness it would be easy to walk quietly through the trees which increases the likelihood of seeing some denizen unaware of my approach.  It is days like this in which it is easier to slip up on a deer, hog or, possibly a coyote.  For some reason I find a perverse pleasure in getting close to one before it realizes my presence and jumps with a start before dashing off into some thicket.

I suppose it is the sound of the dove that continues even now that prompts me to think of walking in the woods.  I have always enjoyed those treks alone, communing with nature.  I think we were meant for such.  I can't imagine being cooped up in a city where such opportunities don't exist.  Kids need that experience.  Take your kids or, grand kids to a state park.  Enjoy the outdoors.  Let them meet the natural world and learn to love it.

No comments:

Google