Tuesday, December 24, 2019

Death and Rebirth


You never know what you might stumble across when walking out in the woods.  I wasn't sure whether it was one of the reindeer, or maybe the Devil that met his end right here before Christmas.  I'm not sure why, but it seemed like an appropriate post for Christmas Eve.  Perhaps it is that the birth of Jesus was the introduction of a New Covenant between God and His people.  The skull, in a way, represents the death of the old which leads to the birth of the new.

I've never really thought of Christmas in that way before, but when I think of the excitement on children's faces as they race to see what is under the tree I reflect on what our attitude should be upon discovering the true gift of Christmas, a Savior, sent to the world to open a pathway for those who believe.  Christmas isn't just a commemoration of the birth of Jesus, it represents the opportunity for all of us to be reborn -- to die to the old and live life for the new -- to die to our sinful nature and be born again into a life guided by love.

I was unable to post yesterday due to trying to cram too many things into a day.  I likely won't post anything tomorrow as it will be spent focusing on family and the reason we celebrate.  I hope that will be your focus as well.

"Glory to God in the highest heaven, and on earth peace to those on whom his favor rests." -- Luke 2:14

No comments:

Google