Monday, September 16, 2019

Rodent Control


Yesterday morning we loaded out a trailer with a small group of weaned calves that were headed to a special pre-conditioned cattle sale.  We went out fairly early and caught the calves then separated off one that we decided to keep.  I then hooked onto the stock trailer and backed up to our loadout.

Right beside the loadout is an area where we temporarily store empty protein tubs.  We stack them up but, sometimes the stacks fall, or are knocked over.  Some were blocking a swinging panel that we use to close any gaps with the trailer so animals can't escape.

My spouse was helping and used her foot to push a stack of tubs out of the way so she could maneuver that swinging panel.  As she did so she noticed a number of different kinds of spiders and, being a wildlife management major, proceeded to focus on them, observing that one had babies, etc.  Unknowingly, her foot was about 4 inches from this young cottonmouth which was quickly assuming a striking position.  I quietly said, "Watch out.  Step back."  Her response was, "I see them; that's what I'm looking at."  I repeated my warning and added, "There's a snake by your foot."  She said, "Oh, I thought you meant the spiders."

She then noticed the snake and stepped away.  I was thankful she had on cowboy boots with high tops and that the snake hadn't struck.  Otherwise, we would have been making a trip to the emergency room before taking calves to the sale.

Her next comment was, "I need my camera!"  So, she proceeded to the pickup to get her iPhone and take photos (from much too close in my opinion) and a video which she then posted to Facebook -- isn't that what you do with interesting photos and videos?  The almost universal response to her post was an expression of "fear of snakes" or, "the only good snake is a dead one."

We have a fairly benevolent policy toward snakes at our place.  Unless they are a direct threat, they get to go on about their business keeping the rodent population under control.  They don't normally pose a problem if you use a little common sense and basically leave them alone.

I'm not a big fan of snakes.  I have no desire to pick them up or, let them coil around my arm although I have done so.  I do recognize their place in the environment and realize they do a lot of good, so I generally just leave them alone.  Most of the time they will move off and try to avoid humans, but occasionally you will find one that is aggressive.  I've had them "charge" me and I've had them "corner" my kids.  It's a strong stimulus to action when a cottonmouth charges you.

I don't think I have ever seen any sign of mice in our feed room.  I suspect it's because we let the mouse-hunters go on about their merry business of keeping the rodent population under control.

No comments:

Google