Saturday, September 28, 2019

Birds, Grasshoppers and a Movie



The birds were busy late yesterday.  We spotted a large murmuration when we passed through the gate and then saw multiple flocks as we crossed the pasture.  The Common Starling, also known as the European Starling, (Sturnus vulgaris) is seen throughout North America.  I don't mind seeing them in our pastures this time of year because they are likely eating the guys in the second photograph.  This one is a Differential Grasshopper (Melanoplus differentialis) that was hiding out in our wood pile while the Starlings browsed the pasture not far away.  I could be wrong about the identity of the birds.  It is also possible these are some other kind of black bird.  They were far enough away that it was difficult to tell.

Yesterday, someone asked me if all the photographs that I use in my posts are from our place; the answer is "yes" for the most part, except for the few that were taken during travels elsewhere.  The main point is that either my wife or, I take the photos.  I try to use only those that one of us has taken rather than to "borrow" one from the Internet.  I do believe that Copyrights should be respected.

In a random aside, we watched the movie "Tolkien" last night.  I highly recommend it to any fan of that great author.  It was inspiring and provided great insight into his writing.

Well, today's post is short.  I have much to do and need to get moving.  I must go feed cattle and then have a breakfast meeting scheduled.  I hope anyone reading this has a great Saturday and may your favorite college football team be victorious.

No comments:

Google