Sunday, September 15, 2019

Being Genuine



Yesterday morning as I pulled out of the gate after checking cows I spotted several bugs on a goat weed (woolly croton) along the county road.  My first thought was ladybugs.  Since I'm always looking for things to photograph to use in this Blog I decided to pull out the trusty iPhone and take a couple of pictures.  As I zoomed in and really looked at them, I quickly realized they weren't ladybugs at all.  They were the right size and shape and had similar coloration, but these appear to be segmented -- similar to a roly poly or, pill bug that rolls up in a ball when threatened.  I didn't pick them up to examine closely, but I didn't see any legs either.  So, I don't know if they are actually insect or, something else.

I have posted these photos on a number of sites where there are groups who study "bugs" professionally.  So far, no one has identified them for me.  Hopefully, eventually I will get the answer.  Until then, they remain unknown.

Mimicry is an interesting phenomenon in nature.  It usually involves a species that is "highly palatable" to predators evolving mechanisms, such as coloration, that disguise it to look like something "less palatable" or, even dangerous to its natural predators.  It is a defensive adaptation to danger.

There are other types of mimics who look like some benign species but are in fact, something dangerous.  This is a bit like the "wolf in sheep's clothing" and is often used by predators to attract and catch their prey.  A Praying Mantis, or Walking Stick is a good example of this type of mimicry.  They look like part of the plants on which they wait for their prey.

People use mimicry too and for the same reasons.  Some are predators who appear benign and others try to appear "rough and tough" when they are "softies" at heart.  It is all part of the natural world and the survival mechanisms we have adapted over time.

I prefer genuineness.  It is rare in people.  Most folks either try to stand out, or to blend in -- depending on their personality.  It is great to find those rare individuals who just "are what they are" and don't pretend.  Be genuine.

In the meantime, if you know what those critters are in the photos, please comment and let me know!

No comments:

Google