Saturday, June 22, 2019

Take a Break!

Mental breaks are as necessary as is exercise.  I have found that the two are related.

I usually get both in physical labor.  Some people like to run, or go to a gym and work out, but I prefer to spend my time outdoors doing something physical.  It doesn't have to be mowing the lawn with a push mower in 95 degree heat, or working on a stretch of fence that needs repair; it can be as simple as sweeping the sidewalk.

The best mental break for me is a walk in the woods.  This time of year it isn't something I normally do because of the extreme heat, but when there is a cool morning and I have the time, there is little that I enjoy more.  Often, especially if I am out early or late in the evening, I will see wildlife.  Sometimes it is deer, or the occasional coyote or, feral hog, but I also enjoy seeing the various birds and listening to the frogs.

For some reason, when I am out and doing something physical, the cares and thoughts of work fade away.  My mind rests -- even more so than with sleep.  The constant background churning that is seeking solution to various challenges seems to fade away and I become more aware of the present.  I focus on the sights and sounds around me and simple actions like where I place my foot to avoid snapping a branch that would frighten away any wildlife that might be in the vicinity.  I focus on becoming part of my surroundings rather than an intruder blundering through.

I think our minds and bodies need the "rest" of physical activity just as much as they need the rest of a good night of sleep.  Without those breaks we lose our edge over time and with the fatigue of constant mental focus, we miss things that should be obvious.  It is amazing how often I return to a focused mental effort after such a break and the solutions appear clearly in my mind.

I have learned that small breaks during the work day aid in maintaining mental clarity.  Sometimes it is a deliberate walk to get a drink of water, or possible to step outside for a moment.  Such breaks help me to stay with a task.  It may seem counterintuitive to some, but the right kind of interruptions at planned intervals can speed the process by giving my mind the breaks it needs.

Give your mind a rest.  Get outside.  Do something physical.

No comments:

Google