Tuesday, January 1, 2019

The Road to Resolution

Once again we start a new year filled with the resolve to do better, be better, to improve.  Some make lists and place them in a prominent place as a reminder of the commitment; others merely list things in their head of ways they need to improve.

Resolutions are a good thing.  The desire to improve is something rooted deep within us.  We want to change those things we see as being less than what our desires inform us are not up to standard.

Perhaps the best thing we can do is to examine why we feel the way we do.  What puts the desire to improve in our hearts and minds?  I believe it is God.  I believe he plants those desires in order to help us recognize our failures.  They remind us that we can never measure up to the standard of perfection which we inherently recognize.  They cause us to recognize our imperfections.

This recognition of our imperfection is the root of a change that causes all other things to fade.  It is the recognition that "all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God."  It is a point of challenge to those who would lift up man as the standard and say that all things are achievable by our own effort.  It is a point of decision in which we can say, "I will choose God's way and not my own for I know that I am imperfect; my decisions are imperfect; I fail."

I pray this is the year in which you would choose the One who never fails.  If you do not know Jesus as Savior, choose Him.  It isn't an easy road.  YOU will still fail, but HE will be there to pick you back up and keep you pointed on the road to redemption.

Resolve this new year to follow Jesus on whatever path He leads.

No comments:

Google