Sunday, January 20, 2019

Some Musical History

The book I received for Christmas that includes 300 writing prompts is open beside me to this one:  "Who was your favorite band or singer when you were young?"  The question sends my mind into the murky past where half-remembered thoughts lead to other things and the connections are spotty from non-use.

I remember an old phonograph and a very few scratchy records -- vinyl of course -- that was in our room as children.  The only song I clearly recall is "Quick Draw is Coming to Your Town."  It was about Quick Draw McGraw, a cartoon character.  I suspect it came off the back of a cereal box.

I also remember some late night guitar playing at my grandparents.  One of my uncles played guitar and sometimes the family would gather in the big living room at my grandparents and sing late into the night.  There was a lot of Hank Williams and Jimmy Rodgers and other old country and western music.  After I learned to play, I would get to join the accompaniment.  Many of the songs I know today were learned from that uncle.

My grandparents had a very large cabinet stereo system that sat in that living room.  Occasionally we would get to listen to records on it.  It was the first place I heard the Beatles and Elvis Presley.

My grandmother's favorite was Ernest Tubbs, "Waltz Across Texas."

In High School, in the locker room there was almost always music.  That was my first exposure to the Rock music of the 70's.

John Denver was another important contributor to my musical background along with Chet Atkins who was one of the very few of whom my father approved.  Glenn Campbell was popular as were the musicians on Hee Haw such as Roy Clark.  Then there was Roy Rogers.  To me, his music never escaped the television because I rarely heard it except on his show which I watched religiously.

When I finally was able to begin developing my own sense of musical taste rather than just hearing what was "acceptable" to others, I gravitated toward Waylon Jennings.  I don't really know what drew me to his music, but I still appreciate the authenticity -- the honesty -- of his lyrics.  His "whiskey" voice and ready humor when interviewed reminds me of my roots even today.  He grew up only a short distance from my home town and played a few local dances before he became famous -- and long before I became aware of his existence.

On the rare occasions I pick up my guitar, I find myself still playing some of his music.

Another band that really influenced me was the Eagles.  Their early "country-rock" music is still my favorite of all time --  Tequila Sunrise, Take It Easy, Lyin' Eyes, Desperado and on and on.  I can hear them playing in my head as I type.

Some music endures while other fades quickly.  I think the most enduring is the music of our youth.  I don't know that it shapes us so much as it is incorporated into who we become.  It is a source of connections tying us to memories and events.

There are some amazing artists today, but you have to look beyond the mainstream to find them.  My kids have been good to occasionally point out musicians to me that are worthy of consideration.  I wouldn't have heard of Diana Krall, or Norah Jones or Sara Bareilles without them.

I don't know that I clearly answered the original question, but it did lead down a path into the past.  Who are your favorite musicians and why?

No comments:

Google