Thursday, May 31, 2007

Middle-Age

Yesterday and last night -- and then again this morning -- I had the opportunity to meet with a number of old friends and acquaintances in my industry. Some were customers, some former customers, some former co-workers, and some former competitors. Many of them are about my age. I am amazed at the similarities in the life-places that we find ourselves in. The level of job, industry and inner turmoil is somewhat unsettling if for no other reason than the number of people that are experiencing the same things.

It's as though we are going through a changing of the guard. The values that those of my approximate age hold, were formed in a time that was very different than what the younger "kids" in the industry experienced. These younger individuals are now moving into positions of authority and responsibility in which their different value sets become evident simply because of their position. Many in my age group "don't fit" anymore. It is as though the world changed around us and we suddenly find ourselves trying to discover where we fit. That is a difficult position to face after years of knowing your place and where you were going.

I sense that we are being prepared for something. I know that sounds a bit mystical, but the current level of global turmoil hints at vast changes in the world as we know it that will have tremendous impact on all life. I'm not talking about global warming -- it goes much deeper than that. It is the beginning of labor that precedes the birthing pains of what is to come.

"Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places. All these are the beginning of birth pains." -- Matthew 24:7-8

2 comments:

Incognito said...

I'd agree... we are in for something.

Chris McClure aka Panhandle Poet said...

I was beginning to wonder if it was just me....

Google