Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Bone Tired -- Not Usually

Well, I guess I jumped the gun. I knew better. My first article will not come out this week. When they went to put the paper together for the edition that it was to appear in, there was no way to make space for it. I was gratified that it was not edited down to the space requirement and hopefully will eventually run intact. This is all new to me and I'm learning. However, it is like sales. You don't count the sale until the check clears the bank! The lesson is that you're not published until you hold the paper in your hand.

It was hot, Hot, HOT!!! in Kansas the last few days. The temperature was 102 degrees for Monday, Tuesday, and today. I was glad to get back to Texas where it was only 95 degrees. The crops up in Kansas are beginning to show some heat stress where they have inadequate irrigation. That should further add to the price pressure on corn and soybeans which in turn will impact some of the products made from them. It also has an impact on meats and milk products because both corn and soybeans are key animal feed ingredients.

Hermit left a comment on yesterday's post that got me to thinking. He said, "You sure stay busy. Don't you ever just get bone tired of work?" You can read my response in the comments to that post. I guess that I get tired from working (a good kind of tired), but I get more tired when I don't have enough to do. I know that I've talked about retirement, but I see myself busy in retirement. I see myself continuing to work at something -- even if it is just taking care of the lawn and chores around the house. I just can't see myself doing nothing.

I like to stay busy. If I get too still, I usually fall asleep. If I'm not working on something, I have a book in my hand reading, or I'm researching something on the computer, or I'm playing the guitar, or something. I feel like I need to be doing something productive all of the time. Now, I will say that I also spend time thinking and meditating. By meditating, I'm not talking about Zen Buddhism, I'm talking about focusing on a thought or subject or praying and studying scripture. The relaxing, "emptying" techniques that some practice under the guise of Buddhism are dangerous. If you empty your mind, something will enter into it and it won't always be good. Therefore we should focus on good things.

"Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable -- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy -- think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me -- put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you." -- Philippians 4:8-9

6 comments:

WomanHonorThyself said...

hi there Poet..yup staying productive sure does combat depression eh!:)

Blazingcatfur said...

Staying busy gets in the way of naps;)

Anonymous said...

Love the scripture from Philippians. It's words to live by.

I like keeping busy and I also like the feeling of accomplishing things. At the end of the day, I look back and can see items checked off my "to do" list. The day was worth it.

Each day is a blessing and it's a shame to waste a minute.

But remember we do need rest now and then.

The Practicalist said...

Busy is good. But to lie on the bank with your shoes off, watching the sun set, or the clouds wisp by is by no means a waste of time.

Great post.

That Janie Girl said...

Awesome post, Poet. And...amen.

Anonymous said...

I think I'd like to be retired so that I could always decide what I was going to do, instead of having other people do it for me. Also, I get tired of having a boss. Even the nicest boss is still a boss, somebody that can make you do things and control you.

Google