Thursday, November 29, 2018

Boxes and Treasures

For some strange reason, I seem to collect small boxes.  I have old cigar boxes, Altoid's boxes, small wooden boxes, boxes that checks came in -- tucked away in drawers with various things inside.  I use them to store smaller items that I wish to keep for some reason.

One of them that comes to mind contains pocket knives.  Some of the knives were given to me, some were purchased by me, some belonged to a relative and they are reminders of that person.  I have a box which contains several old belt buckles.  Most of them have no value -- either sentimental or monetary -- but, I have kept them nonetheless for some reason.  I have boxes that contain things like old driver's licenses, old hunting licenses, and other documents that are no longer valid, but have made it into a box.  I also have a few small puzzles in a box -- the type of puzzles made from metal or, wood, cut into strange shapes that you either take apart or reassemble depending on its current state.  I always enjoyed puzzles.  I have boxes of old business cards.  Many of those cards are no longer valid, but for some reason they have found their way into a box.  Perhaps they construct a history of my career in some small way.

I think most people have a tendency to store away treasures -- either real, or perceived -- in boxes.  As a child I always enjoyed reading books that included buried, or hidden treasure.  It isn't so much about the desired wealth they might contain as it is about the mystery of their contents.  Of course, discovering a buried box in the backyard which contained old belt buckles would be quite a disappointment if one is expecting gold coins or precious jewels!

Grandpa used to have a box or two with various items secreted within.  I remember that he had old silver dollars in one which was stolen many years ago.  One of my uncles in Oklahoma used to have a box full of old pocket knives which he collected.  Perhaps that is what gave me the idea to do the same.  I suspect most people have small boxes of some sort tucked away in their homes that contain small treasures and keepsakes stored there for memory and for posterity.

If my discourse on boxes causes you to think that I have lost my marbles, take heart, they are probably in a box somewhere, tucked away on a bookshelf or a bedside table drawer.  I suppose I should list the contents of the various boxes, but first I must find a pen.  Now, I wonder which box contains the pens....




No comments:

Google