Wednesday, September 26, 2018

The North Side of the Square

I have only fuzzy memories of the Square in my hometown
When the old Courthouse stood empty and alone.
It's second life as a hospital had come to an end
And it was being torn down to make way for something new.

A long metal building soon stood on the north side of the Square
And stands there to this day, though somewhat changed.
Three new businesses soon occupied the space
And each of them was special in some way.

If memory serves correct, the one to farthest west was
Bill Kelly's Men's Clothier full of suits and ties and
Dress shirts to outfit the gentlemen there in town in
The finest sort of clothes that could be found.

Dad sometimes shopped in there because way back in that day
A suit and tie were appropriate attire for teaching school.
My link to that store wasn't for the clothes I wore but for
The help Bill gave me much later in my years

When he recruited me to replace him at the Savings & Loan.

In the middle stood Duncan's 5 & 10 Cent Store which
Brings cheerful memories of standing at the counter
With a quarter in my hand trying to choose a piece of candy
From the rack in front of me as Bob sat there

Behind the register waiting on my Mother with her purchases
Who was trying to hurry me to make up my mind what I would choose
But, I also remember the toy bins over on the east wall
Where I would spend every chance I got looking over

The selections for something special like a set of
Roy Roger pistols and caps to go with them and
A holster to hold them so I could be the champion
Of the cowboys & Indians wars which were inevitable.

I can still hear Bob's voice there at the register....

Major James had the White's Auto store which occupied
The east end of the building and it was where I first remember
Eyeing the BB Gun that I would save my money to buy someday
But, more importantly, Major gave me my first job

Working in the public eye and I would wash the store windows
Every morning and dust the shelves and make sure everything
Was in its place and he would send me to the back where
I would spend many hours assembling bicycles and other items

That he had ordered in preparation for the Christmas season.
Major had me learn every county in the Panhandle and South Plains
And be able to locate it on a map because to him it was important
That I know my geography, but also so I would know

How far it was to the storms which brewed and know the danger
When we listened to the announcement from the National Weather Service
That a tornado had been spotted in Hockley county and how
It might become a threat to us as it moved northeast.

I can still smell Major's pipe in my mind....

The occupants have changed through the years, but
The building is still there.  Leon's Grocery was probably
The longest enduring of all those who passed through that building
That is filled with many good memories.

No comments:

Google