Friday, January 30, 2015

Hurrying to Work

Yesterday, after I got off work from my "day job," I headed out to the ranch to try and accomplish something before the sun went down.  I changed clothes in the middle of the pasture and spent about an hour dragging and piling brush before it became so dark that I couldn't see anymore. 

That might seem a little strange to some folks.  It in fact would have seemed strange to me once upon a time.  I recall times in my career when I couldn't wait for the workday to end so that I could go home and "do nothing" for a little while.  It wasn't a lack of ambition, it was more a lack of understanding.

We had corral panels and a chute delivered this past weekend.  A young man doing some "moonlighting" delivered them on Sunday afternoon.  He made it to our place around 5:15 p.m.  If you think about it, that's just nearly dark.  He had made other deliveries earlier in the day.  By the time we pulled out of the gate it was 7:15 -- well after dark.  It was the first time I'd driven through the pasture by headlight.  The mud holes aren't quite as easy to spot!

That young man will be successful.  He puts in a 40-hour week working as a welder for a factory and then has started his own welding business on the side.  He also does deliveries for folks like me.  He understands that it takes hard work and putting in the extra time in order to get ahead. 

Most people at my age are thinking of retirement.  I guess that I am too, but I see retirement as just a new phase of my career.  It doesn't mean sitting in front of a television and becoming a vegetable, it means doing what I have always wanted to do. 

I'm not at the point that I can rely solely upon it for a living right now, but I'm working that direction. 

It reminds me of a time many years ago when I got into Amway.  One of the things they recommend you do is to make a list of the most successful people you know.  Then, you contact them and attempt to schedule a time to show them the business plan.  I remember doing that. 

Number one on my list was a very successful farmer/cattleman who had numerous business interests.  I called him.  He said come on over, I'd like to look.  I did.  He listened, asked questions and then said, "I don't think this is for me, but I'd like you to show this to a couple of my kids."  I did and one of them got in the business.

The most important thing that occurred in that meeting though was something he said to me while still sitting at the bar in his kitchen.  He told me that whatever I ultimately chose to do with my life, I would be successful.  I asked why he would say that.  He said, "Look around you.  Do you see anyone else sitting in my kitchen talking to me about a business plan at 9:00 in the evening?  Keep doing what you are doing -- putting in the hours -- and you will be successful.  It isn't about luck or anything else.  You will get out of life what you put into it."

So, after work today, if it is still daylight, I plan to put in a little more time on our place.  We are trying to get it ready to receive cattle.  Lots of labor involved, but well worth it. 

Whatever your dream, don't give up on it.  Work for it.  Stay focused.  With hard work and perseverance you just might see it realized some day.....

Chris

No comments:

Google